(Severity: MILD- MODERATE)
Aloe Vera is a common houseplant which has the potential to cause mild to moderate toxicity in both cats and dogs. Signs to watch for include diarrhea, vomiting, depression, diarrhea, anorexia and urine color changes. When ingested, there becomes an increase in mucus and water in the colon, which results in diarrhea, vomiting and other symptoms listed above.
(Severity: MILD- MODERATE)
When a pet ingests garlic, it can cause damage to their red blood cells as well as inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract resulting in nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pains and lethargy. Other symptoms include drooling, increased heart rate, pale gums and general weakness. It may take several days to notice the onset of any side effects. Generally, your pet will be safe if exposed to garlic only in small amounts, but it is best to avoid it all together. Be sure to store it away from pets at all times!
When ingested, unbaked bread dough expands inside the stomach, resulting in bloat. This condition can also worsen to GDV, or gastric dilitation volvulus, which is essentially a severe, abnormal twisting of the stomach. Symptoms of bloat or GDV include vomiting, increased heart rate and general weakness. When the yeast in the unbaked dough begins to ferment, it produces both carbon dioxide and alcohol. Because this alcohol will quickly be absorbed in to the bloodstream, it can cause alcohol poisoning and severe symptoms such as a decrease in body temperature, blood sugar, respiratory failure or seizures. Due to the high risk, never leave your pet unattended while baking with bread dough in the kitchen.
Homemade Play Dough
(Severity: MODERATE-SEVERE, LIFE THREATENING)
Homemade play dough is made from a mix of flour, food coloring and salt and, though a great idea for kids, it can be quite dangerous to pets. When ingested by pets, homemade play dough can cause life-threatening salt poisoning. Common symptoms of ingestion include diarrhea, vomiting, lethargy, excessive thirst & urination. It can also cause damage to the kidneys, cause tremors, seizures or coma and, if left untreated, can result in death. Be sure you monitor your pets very closely around homemade play dough at all times and be sure your children are also aware it is important to keep it away from pets.
Various types of lilies can be highly toxic to cats. These include Tiger lilies, Stargazer lilies, Day lilies, Wood lilies, Western lilies, Japanese Show lilies and Asiatic Hybrid lilies. Even if your cat consumes only 2-3 petals or simply ingests water or pollen from a vase, it can cause severe complications, such as kidney failure.
Another potentially dangerous lily is the Lily of the Valley. This particular plant is toxic to both cats and dogs and can cause heart problems or even death.
In the event of ingestion, bring your pet (and the lily plant) to your veterinarian or pet hospital immediately for treatment and decontamination.
Only a small percentage of mushrooms are considered toxic to pets, however, because it can be quite difficult to distinguish between the many varieties, it is best for your pet to avoid contact with or ingestion of mushrooms all together. Some may be completely safe while others can cause symptoms such as nausea, drooling, vomiting, stomach pain, seizures, organ failure or, in rare cases, even death. The particular symptoms your pet may experience depend on the species of the mushroom and the pet’s unique susceptibility to the toxins.
It is best to steer pets clear of mushrooms and to contact your veterinarian in the event your pet may ingest one.